1. A guest set from Ian at killyourown.co.uk. Kill Your Own is kinda like the British version of If You Make It. Ian’s collated lots of rad UK DIY punk and hardcore records for you to download for free (there’s the option to make a donation). It’s a great resource and he was kind enough to put together some tracks for this show. Check it out at killyourown.co.uk.
2. I bought no new records this month, which is deeply weird and probably the first time in a great many years. So there’s two sets of classic punk and hardcore tunes, inspired mostly by the dinner party I had where I drank a few beers and slipped in to DJ mode and savaged the record collection. As part of this, there’s an entire set of Mike Kirsch-related stuff, most of bands I’d forgotten somehow (I’m not sure how exactly), and all of which, to me at least, sounds pretty essential.
Next show will be the last one for a while as I’m off to Australia. I’m going to be putting together a request set. It would be great if you got involved. If there’s something you want to hear, drop me an email at tensongspodcast [at] googlemail [dot] com and we’ll talk business.
- Phil Chokeword
1.Screeching Weasel – What We Hate (From the “My Brain Hurts” album on Recess/Asian Man)
Classic tunes for crucial times (or something...)
2. Fifteen –Caroline (From the “Later That Same Year” CD on Spam Records – Fifteen Myspace)
3. The Marked Men– Broken Record (From the “On The Outside” CD on Dirtnap Records)
4. Radon – Two Feet (From the ”28” CD on No Idea Records)
5. Bent Outta Shape – I Don’t Know (From the “Stray Dog Town” CD on Recess Records)
Mike Kirsch theme set
6. Fuel – Disengaged (From the “Monuments to Excess” CD on Ebullition Records and Broken Rekids)
7. Bread & Circuits –Statute of Limitations (From the “S/T” CD on Ebullition Records)
8. Pinhead Gunpowder – Future Daydream (From the “Kick Over The Traces” CD on Recess Records)
9. Torches To Rome – Numbered Days (From the “S/T” CD on Ebullition Records)
Guest set –Ian from Kill Your Own
10. This Business Is Closed – For Our Sins (Download from Kill Your Own)
11. The Final Five - I Wanna Frak You Starbuck (Download from Kill Your Own)
12. James Hull - Davey and the Slick Cigarettes (Download from Kill Your Own)
13. Men - Re Your Re-Branding (Download from Kill Your Own)
14. Screeching Weasel – My Brain Hurts (From the “My Brain Hurts” album on Recess/Asian Man)
1. This was put together on my family's PC using Audacity and a USB record player, some over played CDs and 7"s and a cheap Internet microphone. Plus this MP3 is a lower bit rate than most in order to keep it at a manageable size. So if there’s a song on here that you dig and want to buy the record it came off, don't be put off if it sounds kinda rough or scuzzy. I can guarantee it'll sound better in the original format.
2. I asked the labels (Recess, Ebullition, Dirtnap, No Idea) or the bloggers (Kill Your Own) if it was OK to podcast their songs and they were cool with it. I think one of the great things about the internet is that it’s really easy to get in contact with people whose music you dig and I'd like to take time to thank them for allowing me to play their songs. Cheers! Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a way to contact Spam records and Fifteen didn’t answer my myspace message. Since it’s an amazing song, I thought I’d share it anyhow but if anyone involved in the band/label is unhappy about this, please drop me an email and we’ll sort something out.
3. It goes without saying that if you like this podcast, let your friends know about it! Please? Thank you. And get in touch too if you dig it/hate it/have any tips. tensongspodcast [at] googlemail [dot] com or leave a comment. And if you think you might want to have a go at making your own podcast, here’s a step by step guide to How I Made This Show.
How To Listen To The Show:
I've uploaded the podcast to bliptv. I'm a little confused by RSS feeds and all that bumph, but I think that they sort all this for me. This means that it should be pretty easy to subscribe to the podcast. As I understand it, you need to cut and paste this url into your podcast catcher - http://tensongspodcast.blip.tv/rss - or if you use itunes, hopefully you'll be able to do the same thing if you CLICK HERE.
Uploading to blip.tv also means that you can use the player below to stream the podcast and listen to it without downloading it. Plus if you RIGHT CLICK HERE and select "save target as" you should have the option of downloading the podcast and listening to it on the sly at work or something. Get in. (If you left click, it streams the audio too, but it jumps to another page and takes forever.)