Anyhow, this show should really be called “Fourteen Songs” because as well as the usual mix of punk and hardcore, there’s the first of what I hope will become a regular feature. Rich Smith, from Gordon Gano’s Army, was kind enough to record a studio set from the Southampton noisy, Jesus Lizard-style hardcore band The Good Wife for me. You can hear the four tracks from that session for the first time ever on this show. Thanks to Rich and the Good Wife for making this happen – I’m totally stoked on how it came out. - Phil Chokeword
1. Eddy Current Suppression Ring – Get Up Morning (From the “S/T” CD on Goner Records)
2. Wasted Time – And So It Goes (From the “No Shore” 7” on Grave Mistake Records)
3. Brutal Knights – Bikini Diet (From the “Feast Of Shame” CD on Deranged Records)
4. Count Me Out – Against The World (From the “Permanent” CD on Indecision Records)
5. Government Warning – Executed (From the “Executed” 7” on Grave Mistake Records and No Way Records)
6. Co-Co-Coma– You Better Beware (From the “Things Are Not Alright” CD on Goner Records)
7. The Shaking Hands – Buried Treasure (From the “#1 Reason To Move To Gainesville” LP on No Idea Records)
8. Royal Headache – Eloise (From their demo – Royal Headache myspace)
9. Chinese Telephones – All Right (From the split 7“ with Dear Landlord on Recess Records)
Good Wife, Live @ Planet Sounds
10. The Good Wife – Most Girls Are Potato
11. The Good Wife – Teeth & Tongue
12. The Good Wife – Vas Diaz
13. The Good Wife – An Unsuccessful Husband
On this recording, the Good Wife were – Dan (Drums), Nick, (Guitar), Tom (Guitar), Russ (Bass), Matt (Vocals), Clive (Vocals). The current Good Wife line up is Dan (Drums), Nick, (Guitar), Clive (Guitar), Russ (Bass), Emile (Vocals). They have a 7” on Superfi Records and you can find out more on their myspace page. This set was recorded by Rich Smith. Rich has a mobile studio (he doesn’t work for Planet Sounds), doesn’t charge much, does a great job and is an all-round good guy. You should totally drop him an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re on the south coast and want to record.
14. Radon – A Fist Full Of Potash (From the Four Way Split 7” on Fast Crowd Records)
1. This was put together on my family's PC using Audacity and a USB record player, some over played CDs and 7"s and a cheap Internet microphone. Plus this MP3 is a lower bit rate than most in order to keep it at a manageable size. So if there’s a song on here that you dig and want to buy the record it came off, don't be put off if it sounds kinda rough or scuzzy. I can guarantee it'll sound better in the original format.
2. I asked the bands (Royal Headache, Good Wife), the labels (Grave Mistake, Deranged, Indecision, No Idea, Fast Crowd) or Cam at Southern Lovin’ (Eddy Current, Co-Co-Coma) if it was OK to podcast their songs and they were cool with it. I think one of the great things about the Internet is that it’s really easy to get in contact with people whose music you dig and I'd like to take time to thank them for allowing me to play their songs. Cheers!
3. It goes without saying that if you like this podcast, let your friends know about it! Please? Thank you. And get in touch too if you dig it/hate it/have any tips. tensongspodcast [at] googlemail [dot] com or leave a comment. And if you think you might want to have a go at making your own podcast, heres a step by step guide to How I Made This Show.
How To Listen To The Show:
I've uploaded the podcast to bliptv. I'm a little confused by RSS feeds and all that bumph, but I think that they sort all this for me. This means that it should be pretty easy to subscribe to the podcast. As I understand it, you need to cut and paste this url into your podcast catcher - http://tensongspodcast.blip.tv/rss - or if you use itunes, hopefully you'll be able to do the same thing if you CLICK HERE.
Uploading to blip.tv also means that you can use the player below to stream the podcast and listen to it without downloading it. Plus if you RIGHT CLICK HERE and select "save target as" you should have the option of downloading the podcast and listening to it on the sly at work or something. Get in. (If you left click, it streams the audio too, but it jumps to another page and takes forever.)