1. This show features an awesome live set from Failures Union. When Rich gave me it, I was blown away and immediately thought it was good enough to be a “proper” record. If you haven’t heard of Failures Union, they toured the UK not so long ago, feature current and ex-members of The Exit Strategy, and The Grail and Lemuria, and play totally sweet mid-90’s style US indie/alt rock that I’m sure you’ll really dig.
2. I didn’t buy any hardcore records this month so this shows just full of great catchy punk rock. Oh well, that’s no hardship is it?
3. I’m completely stoked on how this show turned out.
Thanks as always to Rich Smith for making the live recording happen and to Failures Union for letting us record them. Happy May Day! – Phil Chokeword
1. The Copyrights – I’d Rather Die Or Something (From the split 7” with The Brokedowns on No Idea Records)
2. Something Fierce – On Your Own (From the “Dirtnap Records 2009” sampler on Dirtnap Records)
3. Rooftops – Makers Mark (From the self titled, self released CD – Rooftops myspace)
4. The Candy Hearts – Blocking The Sunshine (From the “Ripped Up Jeans & Silly Dreams” album downloaded from If You Make It)
5. Fashanu – Yoko Ono v Bob Hoskins... Go! (From the “Science Is Awesome” CD on Discount Horse Records)
6. Screeching Weasel – Second Floor East (From the “Wiggle” LP on Recess Records)
7. Vivian Girls – Survival (From the “Everything Goes Wrong” CD on In The Red Records)
8. The Reigning Sound – Trash Talk (From the “Love & Curses” CD on In The Red Records)
9. Paul Baribeau – Eight Letters (From the “Unbearable” CD on Plan-It-X Records)
Failures Union, Live @ Planet Sounds
10. Failures Union – Useless Facts
11. Failures Union – Replaced
12. Failures Union – The Fall Man
13. Failures Union – Lake Erie Nosedive
Failures Union are Tony Flaminio, Jason Draper, Eric Ellman and Blake Ellman. You can find out more about them at failuresunion.com. This set was recorded by Rich Smith. Rich has a mobile studio (he doesn’t work for Planet Sounds), doesn’t charge much, does a great job and is an all-round good guy. You should totally drop him an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re on the south coast and want to record.
14. Potential Johns – Past Due (From the 7” on Dirtnap Records)
1. This was put together on my family's PC using Audacity and a USB record player, some over played CDs and 7"s and a cheap Internet microphone. Plus this MP3 is a lower bit rate than most in order to keep it at a manageable size. So if there’s a song on here that you dig and want to buy the record it came off, don't be put off if it sounds kinda rough or scuzzy. I can guarantee it'll sound better in the original format.
2. I asked the bands (Rooftops, Fashanu, Failures Union) or the labels (In The Red, Dirtnap, If You Make It, Recess, No Idea) if it was OK to podcast their songs and they were cool with it. I think one of the great things about the Internet is that it’s really easy to get in contact with people whose music you dig and I'd like to take time to thank them for allowing me to play their songs. Cheers!
3. It goes without saying that if you like this podcast, let your friends know about it! Please? Thank you. And get in touch too if you dig it/hate it/have any tips. tensongspodcast [at] googlemail [dot] com or leave a comment. And if you think you might want to have a go at making your own podcast, here’s a step by step guide to How I Made This Show.
How To Listen To The Show:
I've uploaded the podcast to bliptv. I'm a little confused by RSS feeds and all that bumph, but I think that they sort all this for me. This means that it should be pretty easy to subscribe to the podcast. As I understand it, you need to cut and paste this url into your podcast catcher - http://tensongspodcast.blip.tv/rss - or if you use itunes, hopefully you'll be able to do the same thing if you CLICK HERE.
Uploading to blip.tv also means that you can use the player below to stream the podcast and listen to it without downloading it. Plus if you RIGHT CLICK HERE and select "save target as" you should have the option of downloading the podcast and listening to it on the sly at work or something. Get in. (If you left click, it streams the audio too, but it jumps to another page and takes forever.)