There’s another live set this month. This time out, it’s Chris Clavin, recorded playing live in Puerto Rico. If you haven’t heard Chris before, his solo stuff is clever, well played acoustic punk. This set forms a nice contrast to the set I played last month featuring some of the bands he’s played in like Devil Is Electric, Jammy Dodgers, Imperial Can and Operation Cliff Clavin. I think the recording totally captures the feeling of the show well, and I’m totally stoked I got to include this in the show.
Finally, I’ve been playing lots of old hardcore this month for some reason, so there’s a set from me of classic hardcore tunes that I’ve recently rediscovered and been reminiscing over.
Enjoy. Thanks for listening, and thanks to Ian, Debbie and Chris for making this show happen.
- Phil Chokeword
1. Reigning Sound – I’ll Cry (From the “Too Much Guitar” CD on In The Red Records)
Classic Hardcore Set
2. Lifetime –Boys No Good (From the “Jersey’s Best Dancers” CD on Jade Tree Records/No Idea Records)
3. Tear It Up – What’s The Problem? (From the “First 4 Months” CD on Deranged Records)
4. Unbroken – Crushed On You (From the ”It’s Getting Harder To Say The Right Things” CD on Indecision Records)
5. Dead Stool Pidgen – Strike Anthem (From the “Strike Anthem” CD on Crucial Response Records)
6. Nervous Dogs – Walk With Difficulty (From the self released “Avenida Sevilla” 7”)
7. Maakuntaradio – En Halua Tahlata Mun Elamaa (From the “Ex-tytoille”LP on Airiston Punk-levyt Records)
8. Andrew Jackson Jihad – Little prince (From the split LP with Ghost Mice on Plan-It-X Records and Art Of The Underground)
9. Pretty Boy Thorson and the Falling Angels – A Song About Life And The Lack There Of (From the split 7” with Dan Padilla on Fast Crowd Records)
Chris Clavin, Live in Puerto Rico
10. Chris Clavin – Days of Chaos
11. Chris Clavin – Head On
12. Chris Clavin – No Going Home
13. Chris Clavin – Salem, Mass
You can contact Chris through Plan-It-X Records.
15. ONSIND – Suicide Is Painful (From the “Dissatisfaction” tape on Something Honest To Dance To – CD on Discount Horse & Plan-It-X Records)
1. This was put together on my family's PC using Audacity and a USB record player, some over played CDs and 7"s and a cheap Internet microphone. Plus this MP3 is a lower bit rate than most in order to keep it at a manageable size. So if there’s a song on here that you dig and want to buy the record it came off, don't be put off if it sounds kinda rough or scuzzy. I can guarantee it'll sound better in the original format.
2. I asked the bands (Chris Clavin) or the labels (No Idea, Plan It X, In The Red, Deranged, Indesision, Crucial Response, Art of the Underground, Fast Crowd, Something Honest To Dance To) if it was OK to podcast their songs and they were cool with it. I think one of the great things about the Internet is that it’s really easy to get in contact with people whose music you dig and I'd like to take time to thank them for allowing me to play their songs. Cheers! Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a way to contact the Nervous Dogs and Maakuntaradio never read the myspace message I sent. I wasn’t really sure what to do, but in the end, I included the songs because I thought that it would be a good thing to help promote both bands and hopefully help expose them to new people. I hope that was the right thing to do – if anyone from either band reads this and has a problem with me including the songs, please email me and we’ll sort things out.
3. It goes without saying that if you like this podcast, let your friends know about it! Please? Thank you. And get in touch too if you dig it/hate it/have any tips. tensongspodcast [at] googlemail [dot] com or leave a comment. And if you think you might want to have a go at making your own podcast, here’s a step by step guide to How I Made This Show.
How To Listen To The Show:
I've uploaded the podcast to bliptv. I'm a little confused by RSS feeds and all that bumph, but I think that they sort all this for me. This means that it should be pretty easy to subscribe to the podcast. As I understand it, you need to cut and paste this url into your podcast catcher - http://tensongspodcast.blip.tv/rss - or if you use itunes, hopefully you'll be able to do the same thing if you CLICK HERE.
Uploading to blip.tv also means that you can use the player below to stream the podcast and listen to it without downloading it. Plus if you RIGHT CLICK HERE and select "save target as" you should have the option of downloading the podcast and listening to it on the sly at work or something. Get in. (If you left click, it streams the audio too, but it jumps to another page and takes forever.)